Exposure to asbestos could prove to be fatal in worst cases. Inhalation of this harmful building material and being in direct contact with it can lead to various serious illnesses. Most of the time, contractors and other workers whose jobs involve being around asbestos for an extended amount of time, are more prone to getting affected by the substance.
If you are not a contractor or a builder, there’s still some chance that you or your family could be exposed to asbestos. Asbestos can be difficult to spot, especially for someone who is not a professional in asbestos inspection, removal, or abatement.
Still, as a homeowner, how can you tell if the home you are living in has asbestos?
Asbestos is mostly banned by many countries for construction purposes nowadays, but during earlier times, it was a popular choice when it comes to building materials for residential properties. This is particularly true for older homes, ones that are built before the 1980s. If your property was built earlier than the year 1980, there’s a high possibility that your house has asbestos.
If your home has floor tiles or vinyl tiles that are 9 x 9 inches in size, there’s also a chance it has asbestos.
Asbestos wasn’t only used for flooring, they may also be present in flat roofs, old pipes, fireplace, and other insulation materials.
If you suspect that your home has asbestos but you are not sure, you should be calling the professionals immediately for inspection. It is imperative that the asbestos is removed from your home as soon as possible to minimize the risk of being exposed to it.
While waiting for them, it’s important that you leave what you suspect to be asbestos alone. Do NOT touch, tap, or drill the material. Asbestos is most dangerous once disturbed and particles are released into the air.