In some places in Canada, one of the leading causes of occupational deaths is due to exposure to asbestos. Mesothelioma, Asbestosis, and other asbestos-related cancer are just some of the most dangerous diseases any person can develop because of prolonged exposure to the toxic material.
It is highly recommended by the Canadian government for homeowners to hire a professional asbestos removal company to handle any asbestos removal task because of how harmful asbestos can be, especially if not handled the right way. The government even advises everyone to refrain from disturbing any asbestos materials at all.
However, there are still some who insist on doing the jobs themselves to save money. While it is not really illegal for individuals to do the removal themselves, there are strict regulations that should be followed if you really want to carry on the task independently.
If you truly want to do the job with no help from professionals, you must take into consideration the disadvantages of removing asbestos yourself:
- First of all, you would need to have all the appropriate protective clothing and gear before you start removing the toxic material. The complete protective clothing required includes:
- Overalls that would not be penetrated by asbestos in any way.
- Respiratory Protective Equipment or RPE with a HEPA filter to ensure that asbestos fiber or asbestos dust would not be inhaled
- Protective boots or disposable boot covers
This means that even if you want to save some money, you might not be able to save much because you have to purchase all these protective items.
- Aside from that, in some locations, it is required by the law that there should be at least one asbestos removal professional when removing asbestos. Therefore, you will still be hiring a professional, and you will still need to pay them.
- Finally, asbestos disposal is not easy either. There are specific guidelines needed to be complied with in disposing of asbestos. This could be quite inconvenient.
Save yourself from the possible dangers of exposure to asbestos. Asbestos removal is not an easy task, it’s best that you leave it in the hands of professionals.